What is Diatomaceous Earth?
Diatomaceous earth is a remarkable, all-natural product made from tiny fossilized water plants. Diatomaceous Earth is a naturally occurring siliceous sedimentary mineral compound from microscopic skeletal remains of unicellular algae-like plants called diatoms. These plants have been part of the earth’s ecology since prehistoric times. It is believed that 30 million years ago the diatoms built up into deep, chalky deposits of diatomite. The diatoms are mined and ground up to render a powder that looks and feels like talcum powder to us. It is a mineral based pesticide. DE is approximately 3% magnesium, 33% silicon, 19% calcium, 5% sodium, 2% iron and many other trace minerals such as titanium, boron, manganese, copper and zirconium. Diatomaceous Earth is a natural (not calcined or flux calcined) compound. Diatomaceous Earth is a natural grade diatomite. However, the continual breathing of any dust should be absolutely avoided.
Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits:
1) As you can see from the picture of Diatomaceous Earth – (magnified 7000 times) – it looks like a cylinder full of holes – kind of like Rice Chex Cereal. This cylinder has a very strong negative charge. As these millions of cylinders move through the stomach and digestive tract, they attract and absorb fungi, protozoa, viruses, endotoxins, pesticides, drug residues, E.coli, and heavy metals. These are trapped inside the cylinder and passed out of the body. In addition, any larger parasites that happen to be in the stomach or digestive tract are “cut up” and killed by the sharp edges of the Diatomaceous Earth. All of these activities result in a much healthier body with less sickness. People who use Diatomaceous Earth on a regular basis would often feel better. This better feeling comes from all the “junk” being removed from the body and by giving the immune system the “jump start” it needs.
2) Diatomaceous Earth is quite hard. On the hardness scale where diamonds are a 9, Diatomaceous Earth is a 7. This is very important because as those millions of tiny hard and sharp Diatomaceous Earth cylinders pass through the small and large intestines, they “scrub” the walls. After only a few months of taking Diatomaceous Earth, the intestine wall is no longer coated with mucus and molds but CLEAN!! The advantages of this are several:
- Regular bowel movements (This is the #1 comment everyone makes about DE.)
- Healthier colon. This is especially important as we get older. A clean healthy colon keeps away polyps, cancers, and ulcers. Today, many are spending thousands of dollars to get colonics to do the same thing as Diatomaceous Earth does.
- Many users report increased energy and needing less sleep. This is a result of all the food and nutrients that are taken in being better absorbed into the blood stream. With a coated colon–many nutrients never get absorbed.
3) A small amount of Diatomaceous Earth gets absorbed into the blood stream as silica. One of the benefits of Silica is that it helps to destroy bad fats. Diatomaceous Earth lower your cholesterol level and high blood pressure.
- Sore joints and ligaments feel better
- Skin clears up (acne-age spots-psoriasis)
- Hair and nails are stronger and grow faster
- Stronger teeth and gums
- Healthier respiratory tract–less coughing
- Menopause has less symptoms
- Healthier urinary tract
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is 89% Silica. It was established in the 1940s that life can’t exist without Silica. More recently, in her book “Water & Salt” Dr. Barbara Hendel states: “Silica is the most important trace element in human health.” Silica plays an important role in many bodily functions and has a direct relationship to mineral absorption. The average human body holds approximately seven grams of silica, needing significantly more silica than even important minerals such as iron. Most people are, in fact, silica deficient. Among other things, enough silica in the body is vital for calcium absorption to allow calcium supplements to work. If Silica deficient, as is the case in the vast majority of us, calcium supplementation can even be a negative. Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is an excellent natural and organic source of silica.
Other Reported Health Benefits of Silica / DE Include Blood Pressure, Cholesterol, Osteoporosis, Weight Loss, Cosmetics, Hair, Nails, Teeth & Gums, Energy, Bacteria, Mucus, Anti-Aging, Urinary Infections, Headache.
More Reported Benefits of Diatomaceous Earth
- Silica lowers bad cholesterol and raises good
- Silica fades age spots
- Silica stimulates metabolism for higher energy levels
- Diatomaceous Earth has a negative charge and bacteria has a positive charge. It is believed that Diatomaceous Earth sweeps bacteria out of the body by trapping it in its honeycomb shaped skeletal form.
- Silica supplementation helps repair and maintain vital lung tissue and protects them from pollution. By maintaining or restoring the elasticity of lung tissue, silica reduces inflammation in bronchitis.
- It acts as a cough decreasing agent. Silica tones the upper respiratory tract (nose, pharynx, larynx) and reduces swelling because of its positive action on the lymphatic system.
- Silica supplementation keeps menopause free of stress and helps to prevent many unwanted side effects of menopause
- Silica works with other antioxidants to prevent premature aging and to preserve youthfulness.
- Silica can help prevent kidney stones and heal infections of the urinary tract. It is a natural diuretic which can increase excretion of urine by 30 percent, thus flushing the water-excreting system and restoring normal function to these vital organs.
- The presence of sufficient silica in the intestines will reduce inflammation of the intestinal tract. It can cause disinfection in the case of stomach and intestinal mucus and ulcers. Silica can prevent or clear up diarrhea and its opposite, constipation.
- Silica will help normalize hemorrhoidal tissues.
- In regulating and normalizing the bowels, silica has a pleasant side effect; it can alleviate lower back pain, which often troubles the elderly.
- Silica proves effective with female discharge, abscesses and ulcers in the genital area and cervix, as well as mastitis (especially for breast feeding mothers).
- The intake of silica acts as a supportive treatment for inflammation of the middle ear. Because of the beneficial effectiveness on the lymphatic system, silica can be used for swelling of the lymph nodes in the throat.
- Has anti-inflammatory and odor binding effects.
- Silica can normalize circulation and regulate high blood pressure (hypertension).
- Silica can decrease vertigo, headache, tinnitus (buzzing of the ears) and insomnia.
- Silica can help diabetes by promoting synthesis of elastase inhibitor by the pancreas.
- Silica can help arterial disease by strengthening the blood vessels. Studies confirm that with age, silica disappears from the aorta, the heart’s key blood vessel, thus weakening its critical connective tissue and resulting in a greater cardiac risk.
- Silica can help prevent Tuberculosis.
- By improving the elasticity of the joints, silica helps rheumatism.
- Silica has inhibitory effects on coronary diseases.
- Silica can help avoiding or alleviating Alzheimer’s disease by preventing the body from absorbing aluminum and may flush out aluminum from the tissues. Silica can stimulate the immune system.
For Dogs and Cats: The DE seems to create an environment in the digestive system that parasites cannot live in. Also reported are great results with sore and painful hips and joints, and even a fuller, healthier shiny coat when fed as a regular daily supplement.
USAGE: Use one teaspoon daily, gradually increase to two teaspoons daily, one teaspoon in the morning and one teaspoon in the evening. Finally work your way up to one tablespoons daily. DE can be mixed with juice, coffee, smoothie or water.